Education Law

What happens when your child isn’t progressing at school? What happens when the school district takes services away from your child? What happens when the school isn’t following your child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP)? By law, your child is entitled to a free and appropriate public education. But the school district may make decisions you don’t agree with. If that’s the case, you may need help from an attorney who knows and understands education law.

Is your child the victim of bullying? Has your child been accused of bullying? Have you or your child been injured, emotionally or physically, as a result? Has your public school refused to investigate your assertions of HIB misconduct? Did your school board just “rubber stamp” the school’s decision that the conduct in question was (or was not) bullying? You have rights under the New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights. We can help.

Does your local school district say that you don’t live in town? Have they told you that you have to send your child to a different school? Do you need help challenging these conclusions? We can help.

The attorneys at John Rue & Associates know the special education process, your rights under the New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights, and your rights to a “thorough and efficient” education, even if your child is not disabled? We consult and guide our clients regarding the legal rights of children with disabilities, requirements in connection with the development of an Individualized Education Program, and all aspects of any type of parental dispute with a school district. With years of litigation experience, we can, if necessary, pursue available remedies in mediation, due process and/or in federal and state court. If you have to go to court to protect or pursue the rights of your child to an education, we can help.

“[K]nowledge is power in a democracy, and…without access to the information contained in records maintained by public agencies, citizens cannot monitor the operation of our government or hold public officials accountable for their actions.” Fair Share Housing Ctr., Inc. v. New Jersey State League of Municipalities, 207 N.J. 489, 502 (2011).

At John Rue & Associates, we are committed to assuring that our democracy works and that the public has access to its government (and especially its public school boards). When the State or a municipality denies access to its records, we are here to force the government to open its books for public review. Because democracy only works if people are active participants. And when the government won’t do its job, we can help.

John Rue & Associates, LLC
1 Fairview Avenue, Ste. 14
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865-1230

862-283-3155 (Phone)
973-860-0869 (Fax)